I am currently doing my PhD at Department of CIS, University of Melbourne (since Aug 2016). I am co-guided by Prof. Trevor Cohn and Prof. Tim Baldwin. Before joining my PhD, I spent a period of 5 years at Ericsson Research India.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) from Department of Computing and Information Systems, University of Melbourne, Australia [2016-]
- Master of Science (M.S) from Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, India 
- Bachelor of Engineering (B.E) from Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Anna University, India 
Selected Publications |
- Allen Institute for AI, USA. Internship [May 2020 - Aug 2020]
- IBM TJ Watson Research, USA. Internship [May 2019 - Aug 2019]
- Ericsson Research India, Data Analytics [Aug 2011 - Aug 2016]
- Tata Consultancy Services India, Data Warehouse Developer [Oct 2007 - Dec 2008]
- Sun Microsystems India, Internship [Apr 2007 - Sep 2007]
Granted Patents |
- Shivashankar, S., Ioana Baldini, Sushma Ravichandran, Dmitriy A. Katz-Rogozhnikov, Karthikeyan Natesan Ramamurthy, Prasanna Sattigeri, Kush R. Varshney, Annmarie Wang, Pradeep Mangalath and Laura B. Kleiman. "A Natural Language Processing System for Extracting Evidence of Drug Repurposing from Scientific Publications", IAAI 2020.
- Shivashankar, S., Trevor Cohn and Timothy Baldwin. "Deep Ordinal Regression for Pledge Specificity Prediction", In Proceedings of the 2019 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing and 9th International Joint Conference on Natural Language Processing (EMNLP-IJCNLP 2019)
- Shivashankar, S., Trevor Cohn and Timothy Baldwin. "Target Based Speech Act Classification in Political Campaign Text", In Proceedings of the Eighth Joint Conference on Lexical and Computational Semantics (*SEM 2019).
- Shivashankar, S., Timothy Baldwin and Trevor Cohn. "Content-based Popularity Prediction of Online Petitions Using a Deep Regression Model", In Proceedings of the 56th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics, ACL 2018 (short).
- Shivashankar, S., Trevor Cohn and Timothy Baldwin. "Hierarchical Structured Model for Fine-to-coarse Manifesto Text Analysis", In Proceedings of the 2018 Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics – Human Language Technologies (NAACL HLT 2018).
- Shivashankar, S., Timothy Baldwin, Julian Brooke, and Trevor Cohn. "Pairwise Webpage Coreference Classification using Distant Supervision", In Proceedings of the 26th International World Wide Web Conference, WWW 2017 (Poster).
- Sankar, V., Ravindran. B., and Shivashankar, S. "CEIL: A Scalable, Resolution Limit Free Approach for Detecting Communities in Large Networks". In the Proceedings of the Twenty Fourth International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI 2015), pp. 2097-2103. AAAI Press.
- Vijayan, P., Shivashankar, S., and Ravindran, B. "Multi-label Collective Classification in Multi-attribute Multi-relational Network Data". In the Proceedings of the IEEE/ACM International Conference on Social Networks Analysis and Mining (ASONAM 2014), pp. 509-514.
- Shivashankar, S., Srivathsan, S., Ravindran, B., and Tendulkar, A. V. "Multi-view Methods for Protein Structure Comparison using Latent Dirichlet Allocation". In Bioinformatics 2011 27(13): pp.i61-i68. OUP. (Special issue with the proceedings of the 19th Annual International Conference on Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology (ISMB/ECCB 2011).)
- Shivashankar, S., and Ravindran, B. "Multi Grain Sentiment Analysis using Collective Classification". In the Proceedings of the Nineteenth European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI 2010), pp. 823-828. IOS Press.
- Shivashankar S., Brindha P., Manoj Prasanna Kumar and Karthikeyan Premkumar. “Method and apparatus for propagating user preference information in a communications network”. Publication Number US9489638 B2.
- Manoj Prasanna Kumar and Shivashankar, S. “Load Management in a Federated Database environment using multiple traffic distributors”. Publication Number EP3019974 A1.
- Shivashankar, S., Balaraman Ravindran and Vishnu Sankar. “Method and apparatus for detecting communities in a network ”. Publication Number US9455874 B2.
- Shivashankar, S., Rickard Cöster, Vincent Huang and Mona Matti. “Determination of network parameters in mobile communication networks". Publication Number US9479945 B2.
- Vincent Huang, Shivashankar S., Mona Matti, Rickard Cöster and Tony Larsson. “Pre-buffering of content data items to be rendered at a mobile terminal”. Publication Number EP2918060 B1.
- Shivashankar, S., and Jawad Mohamed Zahoor. “System or apparatus for finding influential users”. Publication Number US8700640 B2.
- Reviewer - PLoS ONE
- Program Committee - ADCOM 2013, ECML PKDD 2016 (Industry Track)
- Session Chair (Micro-blog Analysis) at ASONAM 2014
- Co-organizer of NoT 2013: "Networks over Time" workshop at NetSci 2013.
- Co-organizer of CoLISD 2011: "Collective Learning and Inference on Structured Data" workshop at ECML PKDD 2011
- Best student paper award at ALTA 2018, "Joint Sentence-Document Model for Manifesto Text Analysis"
- Runner-up (Second Place) at Australasian Language Technology Association (ALTA) 2016 Shared Task (Pair-wise URL classification for entity linking)
- Runner-up award at Ericsson India Hackathon 2016
- Biswajit Sain Memorial Award for best M.S thesis in CS, IIT Madras 
- Runner-up award at Fraud Detection in Mobile Advertising (FDMA) competition held in conjunction with Asian Conference on Machine Learning [ACML 2012]