I am currently doing my PhD at Department of CIS, University of Melbourne (since Aug 2016). I am co-guided by Prof. Trevor Cohn and Prof. Tim Baldwin. Before joining my PhD, I spent a period of 5 years at Ericsson Research India.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) from Department of Computing and Information Systems, University of Melbourne, Australia [2016-]
- Master of Science (M.S) from Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, India 
- Bachelor of Engineering (B.E) from Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Anna University, India 
Selected Publications |
- Ericsson Research India, Data Analytics [Aug 2011 - Aug 2016]
- Tata Consultancy Services India, Data Warehouse Developer [Oct 2007 - Dec 2008]
- Sun Microsystems India, Internship [Apr 2007 - Sep 2007]
Granted Patents |
- Shivashankar, S., Timothy Baldwin and Trevor Cohn. "Content-based Popularity Prediction of Online Petitions Using a Deep Regression Model", In Proceedings of the 56th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics, ACL 2018 (short).
- Shivashankar, S., Trevor Cohn and Timothy Baldwin. "Hierarchical Structured Model for Fine-to-coarse Manifesto Text Analysis", In Proceedings of the 2018 Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics – Human Language Technologies (NAACL HLT 2018).
- Shivashankar, S., Timothy Baldwin, Julian Brooke, and Trevor Cohn. "Pairwise Webpage Coreference Classification using Distant Supervision", In Proceedings of the 26th International World Wide Web Conference, WWW 2017 (Poster).
- Sankar, V., Ravindran. B., and Shivashankar, S. "CEIL: A Scalable, Resolution Limit Free Approach for Detecting Communities in Large Networks". In the Proceedings of the Twenty Fourth International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI 2015), pp. 2097-2103. AAAI Press.
- Vijayan, P., Shivashankar, S., and Ravindran, B. "Multi-label Collective Classification in Multi-attribute Multi-relational Network Data". In the Proceedings of the IEEE/ACM International Conference on Social Networks Analysis and Mining (ASONAM 2014), pp. 509-514.
- Shivashankar, S., Srivathsan, S., Ravindran, B., and Tendulkar, A. V. "Multi-view Methods for Protein Structure Comparison using Latent Dirichlet Allocation". In Bioinformatics 2011 27(13): pp.i61-i68. OUP. (Special issue with the proceedings of the 19th Annual International Conference on Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology (ISMB/ECCB 2011).)
- Shivashankar, S., and Ravindran, B. "Multi Grain Sentiment Analysis using Collective Classification". In the Proceedings of the Nineteenth European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI 2010), pp. 823-828. IOS Press.
- Shivashankar S., Brindha P., Manoj Prasanna Kumar and Karthikeyan Premkumar. “Method and apparatus for propagating user preference information in a communications network”. Publication Number US9489638 B2.
- Manoj Prasanna Kumar and Shivashankar, S. “Load Management in a Federated Database environment using multiple traffic distributors”. Publication Number EP3019974 A1.
- Shivashankar, S., Balaraman Ravindran and Vishnu Sankar. “Method and apparatus for detecting communities in a network ”. Publication Number US9455874 B2.
- Shivashankar, S., Rickard Cöster, Vincent Huang and Mona Matti. “Determination of network parameters in mobile communication networks". Publication Number US9479945 B2.
- Vincent Huang, Shivashankar S., Mona Matti, Rickard Cöster and Tony Larsson. “Pre-buffering of content data items to be rendered at a mobile terminal”. Publication Number EP2918060 B1.
- Shivashankar, S., and Jawad Mohamed Zahoor. “System or apparatus for finding influential users”. Publication Number US8700640 B2.
- Reviewer - PLoS ONE
- Program Committee - ADCOM 2013, ECML PKDD 2016 (Industry Track)
- Session Chair (Micro-blog Analysis) at ASONAM 2014
- Co-organizer of NoT 2013: "Networks over Time" workshop at NetSci 2013.
- Co-organizer of CoLISD 2011: "Collective Learning and Inference on Structured Data" workshop at ECML PKDD 2011
- Runner-up (Second Place) at Australasian Language Technology Association (ALTA) 2016 Shared Task (Pair-wise URL classification for entity linking)
- Runner-up award at Ericsson India Hackathon 2016
- Biswajit Sain Memorial Award for best M.S thesis in CS, IIT Madras 
- Runner-up award at Fraud Detection in Mobile Advertising (FDMA) competition held in conjunction with Asian Conference on Machine Learning [ACML 2012]